With the weekend’s golf at the Wyndham Championship postponed due to heavy rains flooding the Sedgefield Country Club, the action resumes tonight. Now I know it’s a Monday night and there’s work tomorrow for many of us but trust me, this will be well worth staying up for. Here’s five reasons why you should grab some extra coffee and take your seat on your favourite armchair tonight.
1) There’s a South African involved – Well, this goes without saying. If you’re a golf addict you will know that Tim Clark has been playing brilliantly all weekend and has a great chance of actually winning this tournament. I’m backing him to go all the way tonight!
2) Sergio Garcia is desperate for a Ryder Cup place – The Spaniard hasn’t been in the best form of late and I reckon that it has suddenly dawned on him that if he wants a spot in the European Ryder Cup team, he’d better actually win something. This tournament would be a great start.
3) Jason Dufner is in the middle of a late charge – The American shot a third round 63 which saw him fly up the leaderboard into a tie for second place. He joins Clark and fellow American Bud Cauley and the three of them will be jostling for position as they try catch Garcia.
4) The FedExCup Playoffs are almost upon us – The Wyndham Championship is the last event on the Tour calendar and the winner grabs 500 FedExCup points. With only 30 spaces available in the Playoffs, the competition will be fierce to grab the last few points from tonight and secure a spot. Further down the list, the battle is really on for the top 125 spots at The Barclays and the 100 spots in the Deutsche Bank Championships.
5) Davis Love III is playing – Now you may chuckle at this but the American Ryder Cup captain is putting on an entertaining and competitive display. With the top of the leaderboard so tightly bunched together and the gap between him and Garcia being only four shots, the wily American could even be in contention.