1. Play at the home of golf, St Andrews
Half point for: playing anywhere in Scotland
2. Attend a Major
Half a point for: Attending the Nedbank Golf Challenge and actually walking the course – as opposed to hiding in the hospitality tents.
3. Go on a golf tour (Not a weekend at your holiday house – an actual golfing trip with your mates.)
4. Book a golf video lesson – really simple, but one of the most worthwhile experiences for an aspiring golfer
5. Crack a pro-am invite, see a pro in action, get some inside info and see how incredibly good these guys really are
6. See Tiger Woods live in action
7. Watch the Ryder Cup live
Half point for: watching The Presidents Cup live
8. Play the Garden Route
9. Play Ballybunion
Half point for: playing an Irish links
10. Buy a new set of irons and feel like a kid with a new toy
11. Get your clubs custom fitted to suit your swing
12. Have one standing up watching the sunset at Humewood
Half point for: enjoying a pint at Durban Country Club’s bar
13. Watch Caddyshack
14. Read A Good Walk Spoiled
15. Get a hole-in-one
Half point for: an albatross
16. Play a medal round at The Links at Fancourt – from the tips!
Half point for: just playing The Links
17. Visit the Golf Hall of Fame in Florida
Half point for: visiting the Southern Africa Golf Hall of Fame at Oubaai due to open in December this year
18. Commit to the game – we’re talking daily trips to the range, lessons with a pro and serious time on the course
19. Play a round of golf with an SA cricket or rugby player at a corporate day
20. Play in your club championship – it’s the closest you’ll probably come to competing in a pro golf tournament.
Get hold of the latest Compleat Golfer – our birthday issue – to see why you have to tick off every item on the list and to find out whether anyone on the team made a full 20!